Sunday, May 17, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 57: Chest & Back / Ab Ripper X

Chest and Back

The start of week 9 saw the return of an old friend, Chest & Back. I really enjoy this workout and have a special affinity with it, likely because it was my introduction to the P90X program. I'm always a bit tentative about starting Phase 3 of the program and doing Chest & Back in particular, because I haven't been doing this routine for 4 weeks. I'm always concerned about my number slipping and about whether I have been successful in strengthening my body during Phase 2.

I reviewed my information sheet carefully prior to commencing the workout, and noticed that my second round numbers never matched up to my first. That indicated that my first round numbers were reasonable, and there was extra work to be done during the second round. I breezed through the first round and was surprised at how easy it seemed to do the exercises. Significantly, I felt absolutely no discomfort during the Dive Bombers, which to date, have brought twinges to my hip flexors. I was really excited about repeating the exercises, and decided to challenge myself to match the round 1 numbers, especially since I felt so good during round 1.

I managed to match all of my round 1 numbers during my second round. In fact, I felt that I could have exceeded my round numbers in several exercises, but was afraid of burning out early and not being able to complete the workout. Now I have a new goal: increase my round 1 numbers by about 5 push-ups for each exercise, and then continue to try to match the round 1 results during round 2.

Overall, probably the best workout I've had to date. I can't wait until week 11.

Favourite move today: standard push-ups. All day long.

Toughest move today: diamond push-ups. Improvements were seen here, but I'd like to increase the numbers. I think that's possible.

Tony line of the day: "Make it X-like...not Ex-Lax."

Ab Ripper X

As much as I enjoyed seeing Chest and Back like an old friend, seeing Ab Ripper X was like dancing with your cousin. You're forced to do it, so you grin and bear it. And as much as Chest and Back was crushed, I was crushed by Ab Ripper X. Taking a week off Ab Ripper really has an impact on my body. When I'm doing it 3 times weekly, I can get through it, sometimes rather easily. When I'm off for a week, the first week back is a challenge.

I managed to work my way through the routine. I think my mind drifted and went elsewhere, because it seemed as though the workout went quickly, and without much fanfare. Overall, a pretty good workout, broke a sweat, engaged the core, and had a pretty good time. A great time, now that it's over.

Favourite move today: oblique V-ups on the right side. Felt strong.

Toughest move today: Reverse bicycles. Still having a bit of trouble keeping my feet from brushing against the floor.

Tony line of the day: "Scissors...get it?" (Fifer Scissors)

No comments: