Thursday, May 21, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 61: Legs and Back

I just noticed that today is Day 61: two-thirds of the way to 90 days!

I've been looking forward to this day for some time, to see how difficult it would be to cycle to the office following a Legs and Back workout. I had the added pressure of having to complete the workout by 7:15AM so that I could take my son to school. Toss in a brief power failure, and there was sufficient stress to keep my motivated throughout the routine.

I seem to have a love-hate relationship with Legs and Back. Some of the exercises are really difficult and, over time, never seem to get easier, no matter how my legs have improved. Other exercises, difficult at first, are now comfortable to the point where I can focus on form and on the individual muscles involved, and are deeply satisfying. The most difficult aspect of this workout is starting and pushing play, likely because of my dread of the first exercise: balance lunges. This is still one of the most difficult exercises for me. I can do them, 25 reps per leg, but my glutes kill afterwards (in a good way). Starting the workout with this exercise is hard on a barely-warmed-up body. Sometimes, I think that Tony is evil. Then again, the pain and agony is good for me.

The workout went well. I went about it in a fairly brisk, business-like manner, basically turning off my brain and just concentrating on the particular task at hand. Before I knew it, I was half-done; then, fully done. I guess today was more love, and less hate. I'll have to maintain that attitude in the future.

The ride to the office started poorly with my wobbly, jello-like legs; then, great improvement. A surge of energy and power, and ended up blasting my way into work. The real test will be the ride home, followed by ARX.

Favourite move today: skaters. Got really low, like Eric.

Toughest move today: single leg wall squats. These are supposed to get easier, aren't they? If so, when?

Tony line of the day: "Eric's from Belgium. That's all they do there!" (skaters)

Later: Ab Ripper X

No comments: