Friday, April 3, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 13: Kenpo X

I had a really tough time getting started this morning. I woke up at 6:15 and can usually start exercising within 10 minutes of waking up; however, today was an exception. I kept dawdling and it was close to 7:00 AM before I settled into my Saunders cycle warmup. There's a move during this warmup where you stretch out your leg straight to the side, then rotate your torso over the outstretched leg and touch the floor on each side of your outstretched leg with each hand. That really puts a strain on my hamstring and I find it rather uncomfortable, but since Kenpo involves so many kicks, it's important to stretch out the hamstrings as much as possible. I also find it tough to lie on my back and pull my straight, outstretched leg to one side, opening up my hips. The Kenpo warmup really reveals some of my weaknesses. I'll have to work on my leg and hip flexibility. No doubt this will also help improve my form during Ab Ripper.

The workout, when I finally got around to it, went well. I particularly like the intensity Tony brings to this workout. I've gotten to the point where I don't really watch the screen so much, as I now feel that I have a pretty good understanding of what my body should be doing throughout the exercises. Every now and then, I glance over to see what's happening on-screen. One oddity I find is the contrast in intensity between Tony and Wesley Idol. Tony seems extremely intense, while Wesley seems to take the workout as a bit of a joke. Looking at their faces during the vertical punches, Tony is really focussed while Wesley has a schoolboy smirk on his face. I find that a bit off-putting, personally.

I really like Tony Lattimore. He strikes a deep horse stance for many of his moves and he seems really intense. His body looks rock solid. I'm no expert, but his form seems worth emulating.

Favourite move today: elbow series

Hardest move today: three way kicks. My balance was a bit off for this and I stumbled a bit. I need a bit more focus to improve, especially side kicks.

Tony line of the day: "That shirt was LIGHT green when she started. We don't do any spray-on here...we do actual DNA removal." (commenting on Vanessa's shirt during the cool-down)

That ends week 2. Tomorrow: Rest (no post)


No comments: