Sunday, April 5, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 15: Chest and Back, Ab Ripper

Chest and Back

Today was the last time I'll see this routine for some time, so I felt really motivated to do my best. I decided to focus more on pushups than pull-ups. As a result, I was content to match my pull-up numbers from last week, but really wanted to increase the pushups. Specifically, my goal was to maximize my repetitions both times through the exercises, or, at least try to get the second round as close as possible to the first.

I felt rather energetic through the first round of exercises and definitely did a few reps short of my maximum, in an attempt to adhere to the tip of the day (pace yourself). I don't really like holding back, since I'm not sure how well the saved energy is going to be expended; however, I think this strategy worked, as the second round numbers rose a bit from last week. I was able to improve my second round numbers on all pushups from previous weeks, except for Dive-Bombers. Big disappointment there, as I had a number in my head but gave up on it too soon. In retrospect, I could have done more. That's a lesson I'll carry with me for this, and other, workouts in the future.

Favourite move today: Military Push-Ups (especially the second round). Really able to crank them out today. Also, the second round of Diamond Push-Ups.

Hardest move today: Dive-Bomber Push-Ups. This is still hurting my right hip flexor and limiting the numbers as a result. I'm going to work harder at Yoga and Stretching to try to gain a little more flexibility and movement in this part of my body.

Tony line of the day: "What's your goal?"

Ab Ripper X

I got to this workout about 5 hours after completing Chest and Back. I didn't have as much energy during this workout as I'd like, but a little mental toughness overcame the lack of energy and compensated nicely. By the time Crunchy Frog came around, I felt well.

Now that I'm focussing more on form, I'm forgetting about counting out all the repetitions during the exercises. I'm just thinking about straightening my legs, flexing my feet, bringing my legs higher, pulsing up higher, engaging the core, and the numbers and repetitions just seem to be taking care of themselves. This workout is starting to become much more of a mental exercise than ever before. It almost seems as though my head is getting into another space during the workout time. That's great for me, because I still find ARX to be a challenge. It's almost like a runner's high, where the body and the mind seem to act independently.

Favourite move today: VF rollups. Improved height on the pulse-up.

Hardest move today: Mason twists, especially the final 10 during the bonus round.

Tony line of the day: "Abbbbb Ripppppperrrrr XXXXXX" (sauntering towards the camera like a gunslinger)



No comments: