Tuesday, April 7, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 17: Shoulders and Arms

This is a tough workout. For the last few weeks, I've been trying to improve over the numbers posted in P90X Round 1. Recently, I've tried changing resistance bands (increasing the tension), which resulted in fewer repetitions but more intensity, especially during the last few moves of each exercise. Today, I stuck with that approach, but my numbers seemed to hold steady from last week, only improving in a few exercises. It's almost as though I've hit a bit of a wall on this workout, as though my body is incapable of doing more.

There will be good days and there will be bad days. "Do your best and forget the rest". That was my motto today. Not to say that the workout was bad; I'm just competitive with myself to see some improvement week after week. Sometimes that's in very small increments, say, even a couple of reps more than last week. Today, that was difficult to achieve.

Favourite move today: side tri rises: 27 each side, both rounds. I love this exercise. At the end, all I can do is collapse on the floor.

Hardest move today: flip-grip twist tricep kickbacks. I find this very tough using the bands. When the bands get to maximum extension, it's really difficult to maintain an isometric hold with arms fully extended. I increased the difficulty by making a loop in the band on the floor and stepping on the loop. I must be crazy.

Tony line of the day: "Use the weight of your head. Mine weighs 600 lbs. Ain't a damn thing inside." (warm-up)

Later today: Ab Ripper X

No comments: