Friday, May 8, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 48: Kenpo X

Today's the end of week 7, and what a strange day it's been. This post is coming late because of the rapid-fire events that had to be accommodated today. It's late in the day, but just my first chance to get to the blog.

My friend's father passed away 2 days ago. He died doing what he loved doing: playing golf. He suffered a heart attack while out on the golf course, and medics were unable to revive him. There are pros and cons to a life ending that way: not too bad for the deceased, I suppose, because death came quickly and, hopefully, without too much suffering. On the other hand, those who survive him may be left with unresolved issues. Having been in that situation before (as a survivor), I would advise that if there's something that needs to be said, say it NOW. You never know when it will be too late.

The funeral was today, pretty far from home, and the cemetery was even farther. I had to work like a dog from the time I reached the office to the time I booked off for the funeral and burial. As a result, I didn't even get a few minutes to post today's thoughts, until now.

I've been hearing (on Facebook) rather negative comments about Kenpo lately, how it doesn't present sufficient challenge. I disagree. This workout, like Yoga, is all about attitude. If you choose to make it intense, it can be. I've done Kenpo 20 times now, and although I've practically memorized the disc, I still sweat like crazy. This, and Plyo, are the only workouts I do without a shirt, because of the profuse amount of sweating involved.

Today's workout was great. I think I was extra intense and focussed because of the internet comments. It was as though I had something to prove. When it got to the block sequences, I really got low in my horse stance. I have a mirror in front of me, on a mantle, and I get low enough just to see my chin aligning with the bottom of the mirror. When that happens, I know I'm in a good, low horse stance. I'm no Wesley Idol in that sense.

End of week 7. That went quickly. Next comes Recovery Week. This program is just flying by.

Favourite move today: blocks (see above)

Toughest move today: front ball kick / back leg kick. I lost form a bit on the back leg kicks, especially with the left leg. Room for improvement.

Tony line of the day: "You can take a break here...OR GET YOUR FRIGGIN' KNEES UP!" (break)

No comments: