Tuesday, May 5, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 45: Back & Biceps

Day 45 already. Halfway through Round 2 of the program. That went quickly, probably because the workouts have become so ingrained into my daily routine. Wake up, work out, have breakfast, go to work...

I have noticed a small weight gain lately, which, while not particularly alarming, is not pleasing. I've been thinking about what I've been consuming recently, and realize that there are some things which I should probably cut out, or at least reduce: V8 juice (too much sodium), too many seeds and nuts (good for you, but just too much quantity), crackers (my personal weakness) and eating past 8:00PM. I've felt a bit hungry lately after supper, possibly because I've been cycling to and from the office. I likely need to increase my caloric intake during my numerous small meals during the day. I'm also going to be really vigilant about eating after supper. If I'm hungry after supper, I'll have some baby carrot sticks, and perhaps a whey protein drink (mixed in water). Hopefully, this approach will get me back to where I'd like to be. I read recently that its easier to lose weight than it is to maintain. Once you've lost your weight and reached your goal, you have to keep working as intensively as you did before, just to maintain that weight and level of fitness. That's a bit of a drag, but that's what you have to do to live a healthy life. And that's what it's all about: living healthy. That's why we do P90X in the first place. So we can lead healthy, active lives. Not so that we can do plyo push-ups. Which I can't do, anyway.

Back and Biceps went well today. In fact, even though I felt I was working hard, I didn't really break out into a major sweat, like I would have liked. I don't think I was dogging it; I just didn't really feel supremely challenged. I was using the blue resistance band for most of the bicep exercises, and the black band for all of the pull-ups. Lately, I've been thinking that I need to get a set of dumbbells. I'd like to purchase the PowerBlocks, but they are expensive and, as we are in a recession, such a personal expense is a bit extravagant. So, I'll save up for them and, hopefully, they'll arrive some time in the future. In the meantime, I'll use the bands. Perhaps I need to do more of an isometric hold, which I attempted to do today. Maybe I'm just getting stronger. I don't think I've reached a plateau. I'll monitor this workout and see. I felt strong today after the workout, and had minor regrets that I didn't just continue into Ab Ripper X, but time did not really permit. I rode my bike down to the office to work off some extra energy.

Favourite move today: strip-set curls. Did 4 sets of 8, using the blue band each time. That was a first.

Toughest move today: hammer curls. Used the blue band, and grunted them out.

Tony line of the day: "Like a pterodactyl backing out of trouble. CAW!" (arm circles, warm-up)

Later: Ab Ripper X

No comments: