Monday, August 3, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 29: Upper Plus/Ab Ripper X

Upper Plus

Perhaps I was too quick to malign this workout. Every time I do it, it seems as though it's a huge challenge. In thinking about it afterwards, it always seems not to be challenging enough. I just can't quite get my head around that.

Anyhow, back to the workout. I woke up late today, and didn't start the workout until around 11:00AM. I don't like working out so late. Early morning workouts are always more motivating, because I have to complete them by a certain time, in order to get ready for work. On a Sunday, there's no pressure to get anything done. So, I sat in front of the TV for awhile, checking out the baseball scores, before I finally got down to the business of the workout.

I used 2 chairs for Double Dip'll Do Ya, because my feet just weren't moving through properly when using the PowerStands. This was definitely more accommodating, because my trunk was higher off the floor. I don't think the exercise was more difficult from this position, but I was able to significantly increase the number of repetitions. Perhaps there's not as much stress on the core, but I think the increased number of reps made up for the decreased stress on the core. Anyway, the exercise felt more successful overall.

The push-ups are the most interesting and the most strenuous portions of this workout, especially spiderman and combat push-ups. I struggled with both moves today, recording fewer reps in each than last week, but they were still enjoyable. The feeling I get with these moves is similar to the P90X chest and back workout. Burn the arms out until you can't do any more.

Ab Ripper X

This was tough. I felt depleted of energy when I started, and things never really improved. This was a day to grit your teeth and soldier on. Nothing went particularly well, although I did manage to match all the moves and complete the workout. Note to self: eat more!

No comments: