Monday, July 13, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 8: Upper Plus/Abs-Core Plus

Upper Plus

I didn't need too much motivation required to get the workout going. It's amazing how you jump to it when other plans are pending, and you're on a deadline. I'm finding that I'm gaining some familiarity with the various exercises and am less reliant on the TV for form. I still find that there's too little time between exercises to write down results in the worksheet, but it does force you to keep up. I think that the producers could have added 5 minutes to the workout, for a longer warm-up and cool-down period, and to give sufficient time to write down your results. I'm guessing that there was a push to keep the entire workout to less than 45 minutes, and that overriding factor led to some shortcuts in other areas. I think P90X got it right; less so in P90X Plus.

I had a good workout nevertheless. I think I'll switch to using 2 chairs for Double Dip'll Do Ya, instead of the PowerStands, because I don't see myself mastering the leg move between pushups and dips any time soon. I've been substituting different types of pull-ups using resistance bands for all exercises done on the pull-up bar. This has been going reasonably well.

I absolutely love some of the exercises: spiderman push-ups and combat push-ups especially. I really feel a great burn after doing those. I'm also realizing that my left side is weaker than my right side, particularly in the shoulders and deltoids. The exercises which isolate that part of my body are really tough. I'm using the lightest resistance band I have (maroon) and still find it hard to extend my arms on Shoulders Everything. I might switch to 10 lb weights for those. This would be a good time for adjustable dumbbells.

Favourite move today: Spiderman push-ups.

Toughest move today: Shoulder Everything.

Abs/Core Plus

I seemed to be on the clock for this workout as well, having to complete it by a certain time, then pop into the shower to prepare for a social evening. I enjoy this workout, but again, find that there's not really sufficient time to write down results between exercises. I'm not really sure why there's a worksheet for this workout, as there aren't too many reps you can do in the time allocated, and in some cases, Tony's intent seems to be that you should work out with the group following each move verbatim. I'm sticking with the worksheets for now, but may drop them later. After all, there weren't worksheets with ARX, and I never missed them.

I find some of the moves really easy, like standing side crunches, and posing like an X and lifting opposite toe to opposite hand. Actually, I think that ARX is a more difficult ab routine, even though it is done entirely on the floor. The variety of body positions in Abs/Core is nice, but it doesn't result in a more challenging routine for me. I think I'll do Abs/Core on day 1 and day 5; ARX on day 3. That should provide some muscle confusion.

No comments: