Friday, July 10, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 6: Kenpo/Cardio Plus

Today was the first time for this disc, other than having run through rather quickly on a preview. I should have taken more time to preview the moves, because I found some (many, actually) to be more complex than my Stegasaurus-like brain could handle. I must have looked like a complete idiot (not unlike the first time I did Star Blocks in Kenpo X), with arms and limbs flailing about like someone drowning. This is supposed to be raising my heart rate and giving me toned muscles?

A little time spent previewing the moves in super slow motion will certainly be worth it. I'm going to take the time to do so during the course of next week, in an attempt to develop some muscle memory. I recall the first few times I did Kenpo X, I had a similar difficulty, so I'll try to learn from my mistakes.

The workout looks good, once I put aside my complete lack of coordination. Frequently, the moves come too quickly, and I had some difficulty trying to process which limb should be raised at which time (right arm, then right leg? Right arm, then left leg?). A little more instruction would have been helpful.

I was concerned that I wasn't going to get a very good burn with this workout; however, by the time it was over, I was drenched. Even cycling into the office was really tiresome. I was bagged just turning on the computer. This workout looks very promising, moreso when I learn the moves correctly and can forget about proper form and focus on Bringing It.

Favourite move today: the last one on the disc: high blocks, high leg burn.

Toughest move today: gladiator. Supreme lack of coordination. Clearly, there's a learning curve for me here.

End of week 1. Looking forward to improvements during week 2.

No comments: