Wednesday, July 15, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 11: Yoga

I played golf yesterday (once a year, whether I need it or not) and was interested in seeing whether P90X had any affect on my game. I had read some posts that the program had really helped others in terms of endurance and flexibility and I was keen on knowing whether that would also be the case with me. Warming up gave me an indication. It was really easy to loosely swing the club, whereas previously, warming up brought all sorts of groans. The results on the course were noticeable: much longer distance with all my clubs. I've never hit the ball so far. I was about 1.5 clubs longer than I've been before, so it took some time before I was able to adjust. I just couldn't believe that I could hit the ball that far. No short game to speak of (what do you expect when you play once a year?) but the long game was very satisfying, thanks to P90X.

Usually, the day after playing golf is a day of pain, because the golf swing is probably one of the most unnatural things you can force your body to do. It was fortuitous that today was a yoga day, because I felt I'd certainly need it to stretch out my body following a day of golf. I woke up this morning pain-free, another P90X bonus. I felt like I didn't even need yoga. But, I put in Fountain of Youth and had a very nice workout. I really focussed on stretching my arms, legs and calves during downward dog. That really loosed up my shoulders. Warrior 1, Warrior 2 and Reverse Warrior were just what I needed to stretch out my sides, legs and shoulders as well. By the end of the workout, I was dripping with sweat, but completely relaxed. Great way to start the day.

I've noticed that I don't feel a lot of soreness anymore following workouts, like I did in the early days of P90X. That must be due to the fact that I'm in superior condition now. I feel fatigue, and there's a little bit of ache, but not the lasting soreness that I used to experience. My body conditioning is why I didn't feel soreness from golf yesterday. What a great bonus that daily exercise can bring.

No comments: