Thursday, July 16, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 12: Upper Plus/Abs-Core Plus

Upper Plus

It took forever to get moving today. I was up at 6:15AM, but dragged my feet and didn't start the workout until 7:00AM. It seems that the summer is slowing me down. With the kids out of the house, I've lost my incentive to jump right into the workout. When fall comes, I'll be back on the clock, no doubt.

The workout is becoming more enjoyable as time goes on. I'm starting to get the hang of the individual exercises and am becoming less reliant on looking towards the TV for form. That said, my focus on form is resulting in fewer repetitions achieved. Not a bad thing, as I'm challenging myself by forcing isometric holds on some of the moves, which results in a deeper burn and a more intense exercise. Sometimes, it's not just about the numbers. Perhaps I'm maturing a bit.

I'm having difficulties with the shoulder exercises. I could probably do with a set of 8 lb weights. The maroon resistance band on the fly exercises is a little too stiff. On some exercises, I switched over to 10 lb weights. Clearly, there's work to be done. Patience. Do your best, and forget the rest. The fact that I find some of the exercises really difficult is good news to me, as it keeps me looking forward to the day when I'll be successful and increase my weight or repetitions. Until then, I sweat it out.

Abs/Core Plus

I rode home quickly and popped in the Abs/Core DVD. Again, I was on the clock, as I had to do my workout, eat supper, then head out to the theatre for Jersey Boys. So, no need for motivation. Increasing familiarity with the moves is aiding in working smoothly through this workout. Now, I no longer need to pause, watch, rewind, and replay. I still find that there is insufficient time to post my numbers prior to the next exercise commencing. At times, I felt as though I should just give up on writing down numbers; then, I realized that there is still some merit in logging information, as I noticed that my numbers have actually been improving. It's a love/hate relationship.

The workout went well. I find most of the standing exercises fairly easy, and spend my time doing those exercises with a specific focus on tightening my core ("engage the cage"). The exercise where you stand and tough opposite elbow to opposite knee is particularly easy, as is the similar one where you touch opposite hand to opposite toe, with a straight leg. Perhaps it's just me. The ease of the exercises is telling me that I should be doing additional ab work on Day 3, so I'll include Ab Ripper X on those days. It couldn't hurt from a muscle confusion viewpoint.

No comments: