Monday, July 20, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 15: Upper Plus/Abs-Core Plus

Upper Plus

I woke up extra early today to ensure that I got in my workout prior to leaving to pick up my son at camp. The stress to complete the workout by a particular time provided plenty of motivation, and I only paused the disc twice: once just before Spiderman push-ups, and once just before combat push-ups.

I'm starting to enjoy most of the exercises comprising this workout, but overall, I don't always feel as though my body is being pounded to extinction the way some of the P90X strength workouts did. This isn't because I'm not Bringing It; it's because of the emphasis on time, rather than repetitions. In P90X, you could focus on increasing either weight (bulk) or repetitions (leanness), or both. I liked to pursue both: increase the weight and the number of repetitions. That option doesn't really seem to be available in this workout. As a result, I don't feel the burn I think I should be feeling. When I had completed Chest and Back in P90X, I was incapable of doing any more pushups. I couldn't even lift my arms above my head. I couldn't even wash up in the shower. That's not happening with P90X Plus, or at least Upper Plus. I still get a good sweat from the Plus workouts; just not the ridiculous body fatigue I'm used to.

Regardless, I still enjoy the workout. My favourites are the push-up moves; my least favourites are the 2 direction circle flys and the shoulder everything. Obviously, this has pointed out a deficiency in my shoulder strength, and that will be something to focus upon for improvement.

Abs/Core Plus

I enjoy this workout more than Ab Ripper X, likely for the sole reason that I find it easier than ARX. I would be happier if Tony instituted a fixed number of repetitions for each move, like ARX, as there isn't really sufficient time dedicated to each exercise to do more than what the kids are doing on-screen. That would also dispense with the requirement to write everything down, which is becoming a bit of an annoyance. That said, I enjoy the workout. Starting Day 3 of this week, I've decided to include good ol' ARX into the routine. I've been doing some Fifer Scissors in place of one of the pull-up bar moves, and felt some tightness in my hamstrings and some strain on my gut. I'm concerned that I'm losing some of the gains made during my last round of P90X. Adding ARX should (hopefully) ensure that I'm getting the ab workout I need.


No comments: