Monday, July 20, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 16: Interval X Plus

I'm settling into a routine for this workout: grind out the first half, take a bit of an extended break, then grind out the second half. I spent my extended break outside this morning in the fresh summer air. There's something I really missed doing when I was agonizing with Plyometrics last winter. I look forward to the day when I can do an entire workout outside, with Tony instructing on the laptop computer.

I enjoy this workout, although I have some difficulty increasing the intensity level from level 2 to level 3 (full blast) on some of the exercises. Specifically, the kick exercises give me some difficulty, in both height and timing, because I don't have the most flexible hamstrings and my hip flexors are a little bit tight. I've been working on stretching out both of those body parts during stretch and yoga days, but it doesn't seem to help too much when pursuing this workout. I've noticed improvements during Kenpo, but the Kenpo workouts incorporate many more kicks than Intervals, so there's a greater opportunity to really open up the hips during Kenpo than in Intervals.

I find the most difficult exercises, kicks aside, involve bending down: loading dock and squat jumps. There's something about bending right down, touching the ground, and then uncoiling in one motion to leap up which my leg muscles find particularly offensive. Also, my nemesis: 3-way Carlito push-ups. The most intense form of this exercise is likely what they make you do in hell. It's a tough way to both end the first round and begin the second round. This routine is well designed, and will likely continue to challenge me throughout this Round. Nicely done, Tony.

No comments: