Thursday, July 23, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 19: Upper Plus/Abs-Core Plus

Upper Plus

I keep toying with the idea of modifying the P90X Plus workout routine, as Upper Plus appears twice weekly. I find that a bit strange from a muscle confusion point of view, as P90X had different routines daily (with the exception of Ab Ripper X). I don't understand why Upper Plus is a twice-weekly routine. But, I'm not that brilliant regarding what's good for your body, and I'm not a personal trainer. At any rate, I was considering today doing Upper Plus once weekly (on Day 1 or Day 5) and substituting the other Upper Plus workout with a rotation of Chest and Back, Shoulders and Arms, Chest Shoulders & Triceps, Back and Biceps, and Legs and Back. That should still result in muscle confusion, and add a bit more variety to the program. We'll see whether that plan comes to fruition following Recovery Week.

Today's workout (now for the 6th time) was good. I'm now pretty conversant with the various moves and don't need much prompting from Tony. I mashed through the first 10 moves, then paused the DVD prior to Spiderman push-ups, which take a little more effort and mind-straightening. Then, ran through the next 9 moves, and paused before combat push-ups. I'd like to delete those pauses. That will probably happen within my next few workouts.

Again, my favourite moves are the push-ups. I'm really focussed on form, which is resulting in a rep or two fewer, but I'm feeling it in all the right places. The hand grips on my PowerStands get sweaty and a bit slippery. Tony probably didn't count on my palms being so sweaty when he designed these things. I'd like to see how they fare during Chest and Back. I'm substituting 10 lb dumbbells for some of the exercises where I was having difficulty using the maroon resistance band: 2-direction fly circles, shoulders everything, biceps everything. I'm not increasing the numbers of reps, like I thought I would, but my form is much better. I'm concentrating on improving the strength in my left shoulder, which these exercises soon identified as a weak part in my body. I'm looking forward to improvements.

Abs/Core Plus
Later.

No comments: