Friday, July 24, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 20: Kenpo/Cardio Plus

There's no other way to describe my current feelings but disgust and letdown. Yesterday, I was looking forward to Abs/Core Plus upon my return home, but, upon opening the front door, completely forgot about it. I've neglected to do ARX a couple of times in the past, but these memory lapses have been extremely rare. I'm definitely going to make up the missed session of Abs/Core Plus today when I get back home. Also, the past two days have not been particularly good with nutrition. I've not been eating sufficiently throughout the day, so I eat more than I ought to at dinnertime and, sometimes, a bit into the evening as well. Not unhealthy snacks, but just too much additional snacking going on after 8:00PM. I'm going to have to take steps to cut that out.

Today was Kenpo/Cardio Plus. My coordination is starting to improve, although sometimes I find it confusing which arm should be punching and which leg should be kicking. I MUST take the time to view the video and straighten out those issues, because the time to do it is NOT during the workout itself. Once those arm/leg problems are sorted out, I should be able to Bring It. Most of the moves are feeling more comfortable, and I'm working up a good sweat. This is a more consistent workout than Kenpo X, where my heart rate would drop during the block sequences, then rise. I also like that during the breaks, Tony has you focussing on cardio throughout, so even the breaks keep your heart rate up somewhat.

This workout moves very quickly and, before you know it, it's over. There's no need for me to pause the tape and I don't feel like taking additional rest. I find it difficult keeping up during the initial kick sequences, because my kicks are particularly weak due to a bit of tightness in my hip flexors, but I manage to keep pace during the second round of kicks. I get the feeling that this workout is a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing: a cardio workout, with some Kenpo draped over it. So, I'm not particularly concerned whether my form is really good. I do try to engage my core muscles whenever possible, but my principal objective is to ensure that I'm constantly moving and working, keeping my heart rate up, and working up a sweat. This workout does give me a terrific sweat.

One move which I don't particularly care for is Spinning Swords. It makes me dizzy; however, I try to tighten up my cage, move my feet, and swivel my upper body. I just don't like the feeling in my head when I finish.

Other than making up Abs/Core Plus, this ends week 3. Next: Recovery Week. I've previewed what's in store for Recovery Week, and it doesn't look like there's much in the way of recovering. It looks pretty much like a standard P90X week to me. Perhaps that will be like a trip down Memory Lane. We'll see. At least it won't feel like a P90X recovery week, where I was concerned that I was losing my edge between phases. This week will definitely be an opportunity to Bring It.

No comments: