Monday, May 25, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 64: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps / Ab Ripper X

Chest, Shoulders and Triceps

This workout has always been one of a love/hate relationship. I'm happy to say that it seems that love is overcoming hate. I woke up early (on a Sunday - if that's not love, what is?) to do the workout, starting shortly after 7:00AM. It still takes me about 1:15 to complete the workout, because I have to pause the disk to take longer and more frequent breaks than Tony allows. I don't think that I could keep up with the workout otherwise.

I'm very conscious of where I am in the program: week 10. With the end in sight, I want to make the most of each remaining workout. Further motivation came from my sister-in-law. When I saw her on Friday, she advised me that I was looking too "skinny". That really hurt, as I've been considering myself looking somewhat buff. I felt like I was at the beach, and someone had just kicked sand in my face. I was determined to really work hard during CST to rid myself of the "skinny" moniker. I needed to make a man out of Mac.

So, I really brought it during CST. Pounding away at each exercise until exhaustion. Racking up better numbers than ever before. Great workout.

Favourite move today: side-to-side push-ups. I miscounted, and did more reps than ever. It's a great feeling to exceed your goals.

Toughest move today: pour flys. Still have trouble doing two sets. My weights (10 lbs) are too heavy, and it's really awkward doing this move with resistance bands. So, I stick with the weights. Eventually, it will come.

Tony line of the day: "I don't like it when Phil has a funnier line than me."

Ab Ripper X

As usual, I got to ARX later in the day, around 4:30PM. I had had a really full day: morning workout, 8km walk, gardening (mowing the lawn, pruning, digging), so by the time I started ARX I was pretty toasty. For the first time, I noticed that during the first 3 moves, Tony and Audra had their hands right beside their butts when supporting themselves. For months, my hands had been farther back. Moving my hands to match theirs gave me a more upright position and made the exercises a little more tough. That was a bonus I wasn't expecting. Now, ARX will be even more difficult. Great.

With all of the exercise I got today, I found the workout difficult, particularly in the last few moves, when I even found it a bit tough catching my breath. I committed the sin of holding my breath a bit today, which doesn't help things. Tip of the day: remember to breathe. Overall, it was not the greatest workout, but I was proud of myself for being motivated enough to slip in the disk and press play. Pat on the back for me.

Favourite move today: in-and-outs / bicycles. New hand position, whole new ballgame.

Toughest move today: cross-legged sit-ups. My back was a bit stiff, making this move more difficult and laboured than usual.

Tony line of the day: "Hit my hand...HIT MY HAND..."

No comments: