Wednesday, April 29, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 39: Yoga X

What a great day for yoga, arising at 6:00AM and settling into mountain pose shortly thereafter. Clearing the mind, focussing on the present, getting rid of all the garbage and the junk cluttering up my thoughts, stretching, breathing, twisting, bending, getting carried away by the tranquility of the music and the soft cadence of Tony's instructive voice.

I spent most of my time in the moving exercises with my eyes shut, or turned away from the TV. By now, I am so familiar with the moves, I don't bother watching the screen for form. I just shut my eyes, listen to the music and the instruction, strike a pose, and breathe through any discomfort. Now, most of the moves just flow into one another: chatarunga to upward dog, back to plank, push-up to downward dog, float the right heel...

It eventually forms one long, sweeping (hopefully graceful) motion of bending, moving and breathing. And sweating like hell.

There were some small moments of victory today: I balanced in Crane for the full 60 seconds, and felt I could have gone on much longer. My mind was clear, forearms really strong, and I just hung out, rock-solid. I went for toe-lock on standing leg extensions, and managed to get it on both legs. Now, I need to focus on standing up straighter during toe-lock. Also, I managed to do Wheel for 10 seconds. My arms weren't as straight or locked out as they should be, which may be the reason I came out of it. Anyhow, I know I am capable of getting into that position. Next, I'll try to hold the pose a bit longer, with the goal of eventually staying in Wheel for the entire 60 seconds. While I was in the position, I felt a great stretch (compression?) along my spine. It felt wonderful. I can hardly wait for Yoga to come around again next week.

I read a P90X Facebook post that said that if you're not sure that you're bringing it, you're not bringing it. I couldn't agree more. My attitude is to leave everything on the floor after each exercise. Go for the maximum reps. Go to failure. Can you do one more push-up? Then do it. Then, move on to the next exercise. That's why this program has so many success stories.

Favourite move today: Crane. Full 60 seconds of perfect balance. No shake, no wobble, no toe touch. Statuesque.

Toughest move today: Wheel. 10 seconds out of 60, but it's a start. Improvements will come with time and patience.

Tony line of the day: "Pinch your sides with your elbows when you go into Chatarunga..."

No comments: