Monday, April 27, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 37: Plyometrics

Last night I was tired. I did Ab Ripper X much later than usual, around 9:30PM and, although the workout went well, I was pretty bagged by the time I went to bed. I slept like a rock. This is unusual for me; it seems that since I started P90X last mid-December, I haven't really slept that well. I usually wake up once or twice a night, grab some water, and go back to sleep. Last night was an exception. From the time my head hit the pillow to the time I woke up, I was out like a light. Even so, when I woke up this morning, I still felt tired. I'm going to have a closer look at my diet to see why I'm crashing a bit now. I'm likely a bit short on calorie intake. I purchased some whey protein powder yesterday and will concoct my own recovery drink: 35g whey protein (31 g protein) in a glass of skim chocolate milk. We'll see how it goes.

So, getting up and pressing play for Plyometrics was a bit of a challenge. I actually found myself towelling off with Domenic after the warm-up. Not a great way to start. The first two rounds of exercises were a bit tiring. I was concerned about making it through the whole workout. That feeling hasn't happened in Plyo for quite some time. By the time the jump knee tucks were done, however, I had my second (first?) wind. The rest of the workout went really well. I was jumping higher, farther and with more energy than in recent memory. Even my daughter, who amusedly hears me grunting and groaning through the exercises as she calmly eats breakfast, remarked that I seemed to be in better form than she could recall. Love the praise from the Peanut Gallery.

Overall, the workout went really well, after picking it up following the first two rounds of exercises. I consumed my self-prescribed recovery drink (the whey gave the thin chocolate milk a milkshake-like consistency). I felt so good that I decided to ride my bike down to the office. Great ride in. As always, the real test will be returning home: all uphill. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Favourite move today: jump knee tucks. This was the turn-around exercise for me today. Got my knees up really high, and felt really energetic. I wouldn't say that I was exactly landing like a cat, but hey...doing my best and...you know.

Toughest move today: 2nd round of rock star hops. Double time will kick the wind out of you.

Tony line of the day: "Two words: RECOVERY DRINK!"

No comments: