Friday, July 9, 2010

Round 6: Day 48: Kenpo Cardio Plus

I'm getting slightly back on track now, by undertaking a cardio routine on Day 6. Instead of the normally scheduled Insanity routine (which I've been avoiding since June 19), I eased my way back into cardio via Kenpo Cardio Plus. This routine doesn't have too much pounding on the legs; there's more shuffling than actual jumping, so I felt that it would be a reasonable way to raise my heart rate while still giving my legs some protection. There doesn't seem to be a problem now with my left leg; now, my right achilles feels a little balky. If it's not one thing, it's another. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm just starting to overtrain, and perhaps a complete break from training for about 3 weeks would be warranted. Then again, I just don't feel right if I'm not active upon awakening. These workouts are like a strong jolt of coffee for me; they really jump start my day. I love the physical burn and the mental turn-on. I'm not about to stop now. I'll be smart and try to avoid injury, but I'm not at that place yet where I need a break. Perhaps after this Round I'll reward myself with a little time off.

Although I've been substituting yoga for cardio routines over the past few weeks, I still feel like my body is a bit worn out, so I'm looking forward to Recovery Week next week. I still feel like I could use more stretching. I'm not sure how I'm going to approach cardio next week, so I'll listen to my body and play it by ear. Sometimes you need more of a stretch; sometimes you need to be more active. It's all good. Do whatever keeps you interested in your program, keep mixing things up, and keep confusing your muscles. I noticed the other day that I'm heavier than I've been in a while (it's been some time since I stepped on a scale). The odd thing is that my clothes are fitting looser than ever right now. I've been changing (in a good way) despite the weight gain. It's a sign that this approach to fitness is working for me.


No comments: