Thursday, July 8, 2010

Round 6: Day 47: Super Cardio

You're probably wondering what happened to Just Arms today. I don't blame you. I was thinking the same thing. We've been experiencing a bit of a heat wave here in sunny Toronto (it's not exactly Manila in July, but hey, it's also a humid heat) and I find that the combination of the heat and the humidity really sucks the energy out of me. I traipsed down to my basement this morning, which is the coolest (literally, that is) part of the house, picked up my 35 lb dumbbells, cranked out about 6 curls with extreme prejudice, and promptly quit, realizing that my arms just didn't have it today. They were toast before I even started. Dejected, I ejected the DVD, turned off the machines, and headed upstairs to quickly peruse the morning news prior to heading into the office. But wait! My legs felt pretty good, and I've been itching to get back into the cardio circuit. So, I thought I would engage in a little light cardio, to get my legs back on track and to give my left calf a small test.

When I first started Super Cardio (from One on One with Tony Horton) I thought it was a really challenging workout. Now, not so much. Insanity has, for better or worse, ruined some nice times and fond memories with Tony. On the other hand, now that Super Cardio seems like a light workout, it was perfect for my exercise objectives today. One thing that I've learned is that when you don't feel like doing something, adapt. I did a customized pre-workout stretch, as I'm not really crazy about Tony's 11-minute warm-up routine, and jumped (no pun intended) right into the workout. As always, the first two sets of exercises are the most strenuous (but much less so to me now, thanks to Insanity) and the kenpo moves during the final set are akin to a cool-down.

Overall, it was a satisfying workout. Now, I'm feeling a little tweak in my right achilles tendon, so I'll be careful to not overdo it. My left calf performed superbly, leading me to declare that it is fit to return to active duty. I'll nurse the right leg for another week or so, then plunge it back into the fray with the start of Week 9. All in all, good news.

No comments: