Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Round 6: Day 44: Yoga

I'm still staying away from intense cardio to give my calf extra time to properly heal, so I did yoga today. Not one of the DVDs that I brought with me, but for the second time in my life, I attended a yoga class. It seems that Detroit is crazy about yoga, with studios springing up everywhere, or it could be the fitness-crazy crowd that I hang out with, but since I've arrived here, everyone is talking about yoga. It's really refreshing to hear so many people so positive about it. Back home, most people look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that I'm into yoga. Here, it seems to be the norm.

The class was a hot-yoga class, where the heat is turned up in the room to enable the participants to get a deeper stretch by super-heating the muscles. The style of yoga was similar to what I'm used to, with a couple of new moves thrown in, but mostly it was the basics, each posture held for a fairly short period of time. I would have like to have held a pose for longer, but to do so would have left me behind. So, I kept up with the group, and sweated like crazy. It's a good thing I brought my towel, because there was plenty of mopping up to do.

One thing I learned from the instructor was to focus on my balance. Not just to balance, but to notice precisely how I was balancing. Where was my weight distributed? Were my toes on one foot curled, but not on the other? The objective was to make me completely balanced and symmetrical in all ways. That was new for me, and something I'll consider when doing my practice solo.

Namaste.

No comments: