Friday, June 25, 2010

Round 6: Day 34: Upper Body Plus

Modify, modify, modify. That's how I'm approaching the issue in my left calf, which I'm now treating as a minor injury. I'm going to discontinue cardio exercises which involve jumping or landing on my foot (as opposed to my ear?) to give my leg time to heal. In the meantime, if I can find some non-impact cardio routines, I'm going to pursue them.

In that vein, today's workout brought me back to the good old days of P90X+, with Upper Body Plus. I haven't done this routine in about 10 months, and had actually forgotten how to do some of the individual exercises. As a result of requiring a short tutorial in some of the movements, my numbers were down slightly in a few exercises. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable 41 minutes. This routine moves rather quickly from one move to another, leaving little time to record results, but it does manage to keep your heart rate elevated somewhat. So, this can serve as a mild cardio workout, as well as an upper body workout.

I found some of the upper body moves a bit tiring (I know, they're SUPPOSED to be) and it may not have been the best decision to focus on the upper body again, one day following Diamond Delts. However, I felt that there is sufficient variety in the moves so there wasn't a singular focus on the deltoids. The entire upper body is worked: chest, back, shoulders, triceps, biceps and forearms.

I'm going to continue with this Round, but I'm going to have to revisit some of the workouts, specifically the cardio routines on Day 2 and Day 6. I'll probably look to workouts like this one, and Core Synergistics, and I'll review Plyo Legs again (modifying as required to remove the jumping moves, if there aren't too many) and perhaps I'll place extra focus on ab work during those days. Managing injury successfully is part of anyone's fitness journey. With proper care and attention, this will pass, and I'll be able to get back to cardio work.

End of Week 5. Looking forward to healing, and Week 6.

No comments: