Thursday, June 24, 2010

Round 6: Day 33: Diamond Delts

Has anyone noticed that I tend to start each post with "I"? No doubt, due to my massive ego and my "it's all about me" attitude, and my understanding that the universe revolves around me. Or, it could be that I'm just not the best writer, at least when it comes to making personal log entries. You should see my business correspondence: short, concise, accurate and sweet; completely unlike my writing here.

I (there I go again) had a major breakthrough with today's workout: several exercises saw an increase in weight. Perusing the log sheet prior to engaging in the workout, I noticed that for several workouts, several exercises were stuck on 12 reps. I decided to challenge myself by pushing heavier weights and accepting a corresponding decrease in repetitions. Surprisingly, my repetitions didn't decrease too dramatically, usually dropping from 12 down to 9 or 10. I'm going to stick with the new weight for a few workouts, try to increase the repetitions, and then run through the whole sequence of events again, with even heavier weights. I'm hoping that this approach will help to break through a plateau and stimulate more muscle growth.

Oddly enough, prior to starting the workout, my energy level was really low, and there were a few minutes where I was seriously considering not even working out at all. When I finally got my mind right and decided to work out, I thought that I would only run through 18 exercises and skip my self-imposed bonus round of an additional 6 exercises. When I got to my bonus round, my attitude had completely changed, and I was really excited (well, as excited as one can get doing Pike Presses with their legs elevated) about the extra work. By the time the workout was over, I felt great: energized, exhausted, sweaty -- all things good. Then, I hopped on my bicycle and pedalled into work, for a little heart-pumping cardio.

Tomorrow, I'll see how my calf feels before my cardio routine. I have an Insanity workout schedule, but may have to change that if my leg requires some extra rest. I'll listen to my body and see.

No comments: