Thursday, June 10, 2010

Round 6: Day 19: Just Arms

I've gone back to doing something which I really enjoyed while I was growing up: reading comics. I've always enjoyed the comics: Dick Tracy, Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes; but my favourites were the superheroes. Lately, I've been reading graphic novels featuring Batman and Daredevil. These guys are fit. Oddly, you never see them hit the gym (except perhaps in the earliest Batman comic, and I've seen Daredevil hit the heavy bag at Fogwell's on occasion) and you never hear them talk about what they're eating (heck, Bruce Wayne drank quite a bit of alcohol in his role as a socialite) and there's no talk of protein powders, or protein to carb ratios, or healthy fats, the consumption of nuts and fruit and abstinence from sugar, cookies and ice cream. How these guys stayed incredibly buff without regular, daily training is anybody's guess.

I'd love to think that the workout regimen I'm undertaking will give me the body of a superhero. Alas, the only crime fighting I'll likely see are crimes against the English language and punctuation. But who says I can't wield a pen to correct an apostrophe error with the same speed and ruthless efficiency that Batman uses to dispatch the Joker? And now I can do that with my buff arms, courtesy of Tony Horton and the Just Arms workout.

I had a decent workout today, just matching the numbers I've posted the last couple of times through the workout. I wouldn't say that I've hit a plateau, although I don't feel capable of increasing weight or reps. There aren't exercises where I'm pounding out a huge number of reps. Everything is at 10 reps or so; therefore, I seem to be in the right slot for my current abilities. I'm going to monitor my progress in this workout over the next Phase to see whether there might be room for subtle improvement.

The good week continues. I'm looking forward to capping it off with a little Insanity tomorrow.


No comments: