Monday, June 7, 2010

Round 6: Day 16: Insanity: Pure Cardio

Oddly, I still find this workout intimidating, mostly after the stretch but before plunging into the workout proper. It's the fear of not knowing how my body really feels, and whether I'll have sufficient energy to complete the workout, or, if I can complete the workout, it's not knowing how much intensity I'll be able to put into each exercise. This is, of course, all in my mind, and it shows you the importance of getting your mind right before engaging in exercise. I've heard Tony Horton say (during P90X Chest and Back) that your mind tells you to stop way before your body is really fatigued. This illustrates the power of the mind. What you need to do is to train your mind to convince your body to keep going and to do more work. This positive approach will result in a more beneficial workout. I'd even go one step further and say that such a positive approach would result in greater success in most of life's endeavours. All you have to do is research the effect the placebo can have on your body.

Once again, I managed to complete the entire workout without pausing the DVD, although again, I would say that of my effort on some of the exercises was pretty ugly (frog jumps come to mind). There are a few sequences during the workout which tax a particular part of the body: glutes and quads, or shoulders and arms. In particular, inserting switch kicks as the second exercise is particularly devilish. Shaun T evidently likes to challenge.

It's looking like my body is gaining strength during Week 3. I've noticed that my weight is up a few pounds, but my pants are fitting looser than ever. I'm likely gaining muscle while loosing some fat. Measurements should confirm my theory. I'm looking forward to pounding the upper body this week on the resistance days.

No comments: