Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Round 6: Day 18: Yoga

I needed a good yoga session today. It seems like I say that every time I do yoga, likely because it's true. The workout regimen I've established stresses my body (in a good way) and it's necessary to maintain flexibility to enable me to keep up with the other workouts. If I'm not flexible, the other workouts just aren't as effective as I'd like them to be. Yoga assists in providing strength and suppleness so that my body can move more fluidly during both cardio and resistance training workouts.

The early moments of yoga today weren't pretty. Bending over and looking at my kneecaps, I could barely scrape the floor with my fingertips. My lower back and hamstrings felt tight, and I was carrying a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. That eased somewhat upon repetition of bending over, going to flat back, and raising my arms over my head. It amazed me at how much my body loosened up in a few short minutes with just three simple moves. Once the initial cracking and popping of my joints had expired, I got into the flow of the vinyasas, and lost myself in the moment. I really have almost no memory of the workout, except for the music and Tony's cues. I focussed on the stretch and on my breathing throughout. At some point, I recall sweating profusely, with beads of sweat rolling down my back. I don't recall having sweated that much during yoga in quite some time.

Now, I feel as though I've just had a full body massage. I'm loose, relaxed, and ready for the challenges of the day.

Namaste.

No comments: