Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Round 6: Day 17: Diamond Delts

My strength is improving as this new Round rolls along. I felt strong this morning when I commenced the Diamond Delts workout, and decided to increase my weight on several exercises, and to increase my repetitions on others. In addition, I still did my personal bonus round (two each of pike presses with legs on a couch, military press and side flys) and I still felt like I had some gas left in the tank. I topped out in military press with 14 reps during the second round (one more rep and I would have had the weight land on my face). So the point is made: there's room to be more aggressive in weight selection.

I really enjoy this workout, especially the start, when Tony is doing the shout-outs. Even though I've heard it all before, I still grin when Tony mentions Richard Bell's name, and mimics a bell clapper with his head wobbling side to side. The guy is just naturally funny, or at least we share a similar sense of humour. This workout seems relaxed in tone and while you're working hard, Tony really makes it fun and entertaining. The time passes quickly as a result.

I've noticed that on some exercises, I'm lifting as much as Tony, which has always been a goal of mine. He's only a couple of years older than I am, but (of course) so much more accomplished, so when I can approach the weight that he's handling, it feels like a significant achievement to me. I've always tried to be competitive with myself, but still, I can't just sit back and not notice what others are lifting. It's my nature, I guess.

My shoulders, which used to be a weak part of my body, have definitely made improvements over the past few months. I've made some notes to lift heavier during the next Diamond Delts workout, as I feel that there's still more opportunity for improvement. That's the great thing about this program. Once you've achieved a goal, move the goal posts, and go for the next goal. Build on your successes. Eventually, you'll achieve a state of fitness (mental and physical) that you've never before enjoyed.

The more I exercise, the more I come to realize that the mental benefit is as powerful as the physical.

No comments: