Thursday, June 3, 2010

Round 6: Day 12: Shoulders and Arms

Some days you crush the workout; some days the workout crushes you. I got beaten up today by this workout. Not completely humiliated, just humbled a bit. It seems that I'm still playing a bit of catch-up in the numbers department, as I wasn't able to quite match the numbers I put up the last time I did this workout, in the third week of April. It wasn't for lack of willpower or lack of trying. I was busting my gut on each exercise. My arms are still sore as I write this, and I'm sure that there'll be more pain tomorrow.

Having griped about that, I must say that the workout was terrific. I was able to increase my weight on a couple of exercises. On others, I felt like I was really struggling with the weight the first time through, so at the second opportunity, I decreased my weight, but increased my reps. It was a little disappointing having to do that, but I was concerned about not only preventing injury, but also ensuring that I derived benefit from the exercise. I'd rather do 12 reps at a lighter weight, than squeeze out 6 at a heavier weight. The discrepancy between the number of reps was just too great to justify using a heavier weight today. Hopefully, next time I'll be up to handling the heavier weight. That's the funny thing about working out: you just have to take it day to day. It's all based on how you feel at the time.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to giving my arms and shoulders a break, and getting back to cardio tomorrow.

No comments: