Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Round 6: Day 11: Yoga

For the last month or so, I've been feeling that my body is less flexible than it used to be. Perhaps it is that I took a couple of weeks off from working out, either due to illness or to taking some extra time between Rounds. I do know that towards the end of Round 5, I tweaked something in my back (during a Shoulders and Arms routine, I believe) and my left hamstring has felt tight ever since. My hope is that yoga will help soothe that condition and restore my previous state of flexibility.

Today was back to the basics, with Patience "Hummingbird" yoga. I practiced the essential poses: warrior 1 and 2, chair pose, lots of upward and downward dogs, triangle pose, side arm balance (with leg raise) and some hamstring stretches. Each pose is held for a fairly long period of time (about a minute or so), allowing you time to breathe, relax, and to clear your mind. By the end of the workout, I felt as though the stresses of everyday life had left my body and I was ready to face the day.

It will likely take another couple of weeks to regain my flexibility, but I know that yoga will be an important element in doing so.

Namaste.


No comments: