Monday, May 10, 2010

Round 5: Day 86: Interval X Plus

Although I had Plyometrics on the calendar today, I wasn't in the mood for it when I awoke, so I did Interval X Plus as a last-minute substitution. I don't recall ever having completed this workout without having to pause the DVD -- until today. Thanks to Insanity, this workout sped by without pause. I'm sure that I've increased my lung capacity and my cardio abilities due to Insanity. Where I used to huff and puff by the end of the first round, I merely took a sip of water, towelled off some sweat, enjoyed my 1-minute break, and jumped back into the fray for the second round.

I didn't really think that I would find any more surprises in personal development this Round, until today's workout. I recall being quite out of breath at the end of the first round of exercises, and used to have to take several minutes for my heart rate to recover prior to starting the second round. Today, I felt energetic and never really severely challenged. It wasn't as though I wasn't trying; on the contrary, I was hopping and jumping in time with Tony and the kids. There just is a world of difference between the P90X cardio and Insanity.

Oddly, even though the workout seemed easy, I experienced a lot of leg shake in the hour following the workout. That gave me renewed respect for this workout. Although the intensity of the workout may be less than Insanity, the duration is more. The workout consists of two rounds of approximately 15 minutes each, unlike Insanity, where a round lasts for about 3 or 4 minutes. The total length of the workouts is about the same, but the way the time is consumed is completely different. I still like this workout and will keep it as part of a recovery week in the next Round.

No comments: