Thursday, May 6, 2010

Round 5: Day 82: Just Arms

My son threw down the gauntlet yesterday, advising me in no uncertain terms that he was distinctly unimpressed by my arms. He's 15 years old, and has been spending some time recently lifting weights and doing pushups. I suppose that my exercise regimen and body transformation have not gone unnoticed by him, and he is starting to catch on to the benefits of eating clean and exercising regularly. He typically walks around the house, flexing his arms, and inquiring whether we have tickets to the gun show, or, flexing, he points out the way to the beach. Typical teenager, I suppose. I was one too, once.

Spurred on by his comment, I put extra effort into today's Just Arms workout, motivated to build a little golden nugget on top of my biceps. Prior to the workout, I scanned my information sheet, and made notes to increase the weights on all exercises where I was previously capable of doing 12 reps. What resulted was one of the most intense arm workouts I've ever experienced. I had to pause the DVD several times just to catch my breath and recover. Following the workout, I had tremendous difficulty lifting my arms to wash my face. I'm sure I'll feel some delayed muscle soreness over the next few days.

It feels as though this Round is already over. I only have the Insanity Fit Test to do tomorrow to wrap up Week 12, then a Recovery Week, prior to commencing the next Round. Next week, I'll evaluate whether I met this Round's goals, establish new goals, and adjust the workout schedule accordingly. Where does the time go?

No comments: