Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Round 5: Day 80: Diamond Delts

Today's workout was difficult. My shoulders were a little sore from Sunday's 30-15 massacre, so pike presses weren't particularly welcome during the workout. I had serious mental issues to overcome, as my head wasn't really into the workout from the start. I recalled during one of the P90X workouts that Tony said that you quit way before you should because your mind tells you to stop, and that you're capable of doing more if you tune out your head and work towards the number you want to achieve. That's good advice, but easier said than done.

Looking back in my workout log sheet, I saw that at the end of Round 4, I didn't do my typical bonus round. I didn't want this Round to end that way so, even though I was pretty tired by the time the DVD ended, I soldiered on with my self-imposed bonus round (actually, 2 rounds of each) consisting of pike presses (legs raised up on a couch), military press, and side press. The repetition of the bonus round was tough, but it's those last few reps that break you down and build you up. Besides, in addition to building muscle, it builds character. At least until you drop the weight on your face.

My shoulders have come a long way during this Round. I'm lifting heavier than ever before, and my left side has caught up with my right side in terms of endurance and capability. Only when I'm nearing the end of my lifting ability does my left arm start to flag a little. There's still an opportunity for improvement, but I'm pleased with the gains made thus far.

Next time, I'll be looking to increase the weights a bit, decrease the reps a bit, and build up again from there.

No comments: