Friday, February 19, 2010

Round 5: Day 13: Insanity: Cardio Power & Resistance

I'm starting to get used to the Insanity warmups. There is a subtle difference between warmups from one workout to another, depending upon the focus of the particular workout, but there is a consistency in the overall approach. I enjoy these warmups, as they get my heart pumping, they're not too strenuous, and they put me in a good frame of mind for the workout of the day.

Today's workout was Cardio Power & Resistance. I specifically scheduled this for Day 6, rather than Day 2, as I was concerned about resistance training three days in a row and wanted to ensure that there was a clean break of cardio interrupting Days 1 and 3. I really needn't have worried, as the resistance component in this workout is really mild compared to P90X. Resistance moves consist of a variety of pushups: pike presses, side to side walking pushups, and standard pushups. By now, pushups are somewhat of a specialty of mine, so those portions of the workout seemed more like rest than stress.

The cardio portions, however, still challenge. As in previous Insanity workouts, I was able to complete more than 20 minutes without pausing, but took a couple of breaks during the final 17 minutes. I paused the DVD when my heart rate hit about 96% of maximum (a man's got to know his limitations!) and when I felt my form was really heading south. I'd rather take a couple of breaks to ensure that my form is correct than push through, trying to be a hero. Incorrect form can lead to injuries. It's just not worth it.

I'm really enjoying the Insanity workouts and am looking forward to improvements. During the day following my Insanity workout, I feel relaxed, energized and limber. This hybrid program is starting to grow on me.

End of Week 2. Looking forward to a little more intensity during Week 3.

No comments: