Thursday, December 10, 2009

Round 4: Day 54: Mammoth UML

Not being in the mood for either Core Synergistics or Medicine Ball Core Cardio, I decided that the time was right for an overall body workout and selected Mammoth UML (from the One on One with Tony Horton series) to do the job.

I've only done this workout once before, and recall losing energy towards the end, especially when Tony does jump-knee-tucks as the last move and spontaneously decides to throw in an additional 10 leaps, just for fun, of course.

Today's workout was not as exerting as before, and I had no problems keeping up with Tony (although I did fall behind during oblique V-ups for some reason - likely the added weight of wearing shoes). I had a good overall workout, although I didn't get too sweaty, and would rate this as a reasonable workout to pursue during a Recovery Week. I like the range of exercises that Tony employs, and enjoy the variety of upper-middle-lower exercises during each set. There's no chance for boredom during this workout as a result.

The most challenging moves for me remain the "middle" moves: those that specifically target the abdominal region. I'm not used to doing these types of exercises wearing shoes, and I found the additional weight made a slight difference. Also, mostly 30 reps were done, which is more than I'm used to. On the other hand, my abdominal region could use the extra hit.

The upper (arm) and lower (leg) exercises were varied and interesting. Most of the upper moves consist of some variety of push-up, but there are enough styles of push-up in Tony's repetoire to keep things moving along nicely, without completely burning out the shoulders or arms.

Overall, a satisfying experience, and Tony was relaxed, informative and in good humour. It's also nice seeing him in another environment (the workout takes place in a hotel room adjacent to a ski hill) and he's forced to use his imagination to provide a workout routine which doesn't employ any specialized equipment: only what's immediately on hand is used (chair, sofa, boots), demonstrating that one can pursue a decent workout wherever one happens to be. That's important information to have, because you don't always find yourself in a fully equipped gym. Sometimes, it will be just you and gravity.

No comments: