Friday, December 4, 2009

Round 4: Day 48: Kenpo Cardio Plus

It's about the half-way point in the program, and a good time for some self-evaluation.

I've been enjoying the hybrid program. At first, I was a little concerned that it wasn't going to give me the results I was looking for, but I've noticed a change in my body over the last few weeks, and have come to an early conclusion that perhaps things are working out (no pun intended) well after all.

I know that the scale isn't my friend, but recently it has been. My weight is down about 6 lbs so far from the end of the last round. P90X+ didn't result in too much weight loss, which was a little disappointing, but it did deliver additional body firmness, leanness and increased endurance. This round seems to be a little more balanced, by re-introducing more focussed resistance workouts, and the switch from resistance bands to dumbbells has, I believe, spurred my body on to more positive changes. I've noticed that my arms are firmer, biceps larger, stomach tighter, and overall energy level is higher than ever before. In short, I'm in the best shape of my life and am enjoying what may be the best health I've ever had. Thanks to Tony and to Beachbody.

The workout today, Kenpo Cardio Plus, went well. Although I broke a pretty good sweat, this workout just isn't as challenging for me as it used to be. When I have a day like this, when the cardio workout isn't enough, I start to daydream about purchasing Insanity. I'll be thinking about that over the next half of this program, and may eventually decide to add Insanity into the mix. Right now, the only cardio workout which gives me some issues is Interval X Plus, where I've been pausing the DVD at half-time to catch my breath after Carlito Push-Ups. I'm fine with all the other cardio DVDs, including Plyometrics. Some are more challenging than others, but nothing really slays me. I could use more intensity in my cardio workouts, and doubling up Tony's One on One workouts isn't really the best solution, as it results in a pretty long cardio session. I'd prefer to have a shorter, more intensive cardio workout than a longer, less intense one.

This ends Week 7; next comes Week 8, Recovery Week. I'm going to break the rules a bit here, and add three ab routines over the course of the next week, to make up for the three I've missed this week. It was an uneven and somewhat dissatisfactory week from an exercise viewpoint, due to a death in the family. I'm happy for the exercise I did, however. It acted as an outlet to channel some emotion, and an opportunity to focus on life and health, rather than death and sickness.

No comments: