Monday, November 30, 2009

Round 4: Day 43/44: Interval X Plus / Chest & Back

Week 7 has not commenced as planned; on the other hand, sometimes life doesn't move as planned. Due to a death in the family, I was unable to do Chest & Back on Day 43, instead, circumstances dictated that I take another day off. The back-up plan was to do doubles today, making up Chest & Back and Intervals X Plus. This morning went as planned: up bright and early for Intervals X Plus. The workout was acceptable, but not spectacular. I was a bit drained from a stressful Sunday, and just happy to push play and grind out the workout.

I was more optimistic for Chest and Back, planned for the mid- to late afternoon. I got to the workout around 5:15PM, and recognized that I was in for some trouble when my body gave me some resistance during the first set of 30 standard pushups. I'm not sure whether it was a factor of not having eaten sufficiently over the past two days, stress, the time of day, or my mind getting the better of my body, but the workout ended in disaster. Not an injury, but I retired after one round. I really struggled with the workout during the first round, posting numbers which were well below my expectations. I just didn't have sufficient energy to do this workout. I took a brief pause before starting the second round, but when I started to do the pullups, I knew that my body wasn't up to it. Rather than push through and risk injury, I decided to stop. I'm going to ensure that over the course of the next week, I'm eating properly, getting sufficient rest (I'm one to talk, as it's 12:08AM as I'm writing this post) and try to recentre and refocus.

Tomorrow, instead of pursuing an upper body exercise, I'm going to make a switch and do Bun Shaper, originally scheduled for Thursday (Day 5). Shoulders and Arms will now move to Day 5, with Yoga as a separator. Hopefully, that will help me get back on track. I've missed my ab workout this week as well, and will try to make that up. What a mess. Sometimes, life is like that. I'm going to try to maintain my discipline and continue to work out during this week. It should help dispel stress and assist in maintaining some sense of mental balance. Let's hope it all works out.

No comments: