Thursday, December 3, 2009

Round 4: Day 47: Shoulders and Arms

What a fantastic workout this is. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this because I believe I've only done it once this Round and will only see it again one more time before the Round is over. I enjoyed it so much, that I'm seriously considering revamping the workout schedule to make sure that it gets included more frequently.

The difference: free weights. I've only ever done this workout using resistance bands. The resistance bands were great, and I not only got a good burn and satisfactory results, but it's really a different ballgame using dumbbells. Again, my weaknesses were illuminated, specifically, my left arm and left shoulder. I started out a bit in the dark, unsure of what weight I should be selecting. The design of this workout (3 exercises; repeat; 3 more exercises; repeat, and so on) was good, because I could estimate a weight to use for a particular exercise, then try it, evaluate, and adjust the weight upwards or downwards for the repeat exercise. Basically, there was a process of information gathering to be done, because I had never used dumbbells for this workout before.

When using resistance bands, I typically used a fairly heavy band for each exercise, and attempted to maximize the number of repetitions. That usually placed me in the 12-15 range, or sometimes even higher, for repetitions. Today, I took a different tack: increase the weights, and keep the repetitions in the 8-12 range. If I felt that I was capable of doing more repetitions, I increased the weight for the repeat exercise, and wrote in the appropriate number in the adjacent column to remind me that, next time, I should start out with a higher weight level.

It was an interesting experience to see the difference between dumbbells and resistance bands. It was really satisfying hearing the light clanging of the dumbbell plates as I hoisted them over my head or curled them up to my face. OK, I felt like a minor bad-ass. But hey, I'm 49, and in the best shape of my life. I'm entitled to a little enjoyment after all this hard work. I'm really worn out now and can still feel the unbelievable pump I got from the workout. It's really exciting to know that I've just opened the door to further improvements. Today's workout completely justified my purchasing the adjustable dumbbells. Now, let's see what this old body is capable of.

No comments: