Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Round 4: Day 46: Yoga

I was really in the mood for Yoga today. Yesterday, following a funeral, I sat around the house all day. I'm not really used to spending an entire day interacting with people, and I found it really drained me of energy. By the time 9:00 PM rolled by, I was completely exhausted. I ended up going to bed early, in order to get plenty of sleep and try to recoup my energy for today, to get back into my normal routine and cycle of eating properly and drinking regularly.

Yoga whipped by quickly. I initially felt a bit weak during the early upward dog / downward dog sequences, but that feeling soon dissipated as I became consumed by the rhythm of the movements and focussed on stretching and clearing my mind. My initial stretches were also a bit short of where I would have liked them to be: my hands not flat on the floor, and a bit of a kink in my lower back and some extra stiffness in my hamstrings. Clearly, there was some work to be done. Halfway through the program, most of my problems (physical, that is) had been rectified: my hands were reaching the floor with straight legs, my back felt fine, and I was feeling particularly strong during the upward dog series. I had a minor balance issue during reverse half-moon whilst standing on my right leg, but all I needed was a little more focus, additional concentration, and a reminder to move a little slower and with greater fluidity.

I really enjoyed the stomach sequences, the spinal stretches and the hamstring stretches. Now, I'm nice and relaxed, limber and peaceful.

Namaste.

No comments: