Friday, November 27, 2009

Round 4: Day 41: Medicine Ball Core Cardio / Cardio Intervals

Another double header with Tony today, this time going One on One starting with Medicine Ball Core Cardio, immediately followed by Cardio Intervals.

I was psyched up last night, looking forward to doing this for the first time. I recall that my last few posts regarding Cardio Intervals stated something to the effect that this workout wasn't tough enough, and something similar for Medicine Ball Core Cardio, and was musing about doing these back-to-back to try to get the burn I was looking for. So, this morning, I popped in Medicine Ball Core Cardio, picked up a 5 lb weight (the handle only from the newly purchased PowerBlocks) and away I went. The workout went well, and I developed a reasonable sweat. In the future, it might be worth exploring using a 10 lb weight, at least for some of the exercises.

Following the completion of Medicine Ball Core Cardio, I immediately started Cardio Intervals, skipping the warm-up. I actually didn't find the workout to be too tough, although some of the moves are a bit awkward for me (half-moons and jumping side kicks come to mind). One move consisting of a side leap to a single leg squat followed by a front kick with the free leg gave me balance issues at first, but by contracting my core, I was able to control my tendency to fall off to one side and really improved my form. That was satisfying. From then on, I focussed on what my core was doing during all exercises, and it made a difference in the overall intensity of the workout.

When I completed the workout, I was sweating profusely. My knees had a slight soreness (nothing particularly uncomfortable or concerning) and my legs were rather tired. I'd say that these two workouts should be combined again in the future. In general: success!

That ends Week 6; looking forward to more intensity during Week 7.

No comments: