Thursday, July 30, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 26: Legs & Back / Ab Ripper X

Legs and Back

Again, it's been about 6 weeks since I last did this workout, and I admit to being a bit nervous about it. I suppose it didn't help that I was on a bit of a tight schedule, having to leave the house by a certain time to attend some meetings. It further didn't help when the disc froze several times during the warm-up sequence. I was left to stretch out on my own, and managed to start the disc at the first exercise in the workout. I am a bit concerned about the condition of my disc; perhaps I'll have to take it to my friend's house for a good cleaning and polishing.

The workout went really well. I managed to keep up with Tony and the kids throughout, and didn't feel fatigued on some of the more difficult exercises. Wall squats went by really well. Single-leg wall squats were still a killer, starting with the first one. Major leg shake. I wasn't sure I would even manage to complete the exercise. They actually got better as the minute wore on, although I did have my eye on the clock every second, just waiting for the signal to change legs. Also, 80-20 speed squats were rather punishing today. Perhaps my legs are in decent shape due to all the bicycle riding I've been doing lately. I really enjoyed all the lunge exercises, because I've been experiencing some tightness in my left hip flexor, and lunges are great to stretch out that part of my body.

The sweat was really pouring off me by the end of the workout. Again, it's giving me second thoughts about the effectiveness of P90X Plus. The standard P90X workouts are still challenging, moreso than P90X Plus. Time for a change in routine? I'm still undecided. I don't really want to give up on P90X Plus; I'm just concerned that I could be doing more.

Ab Ripper X

I got to ARX upon my return home from the office. It took me about 10 minutes to get going. For awhile, I was just sitting in front of the TV, psyching myself up, getting mentally ready for the challenge. This was just one of those days where you don't really feel motivated to work out. That's when the challenge really starts: mental preparation, slip in the DVD, and just press play. I managed to do so.

The workout, once started, actually went rather well. There wasn't any particular exercise which really caused any sort of struggle. I think that I'm almost back to where I used to be, doing the entire DVD and focussing on form. Today, my main focus was on Fifer Scissors and on Leg Climbs. Fifer Scissors are, and likely always will be, challenging. I'm always focussed on keeping my leg straight and vertical, with a flexed foot. My hamstrings are a bit tight, and keeping my leg straight is my main difficulty. Leg Climbs have puzzled me for the longest time, and I don't think they're the greatest ab move. Today, I was concentrating on engaging my core, keeping my leg absolutely still, and going straight up to my foot. That was harder, and it gives me another goal to work towards when I next do the workout.

No comments: