Tuesday, July 28, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 24: Back and Biceps / Ab Ripper X

Back and Biceps

I must be improving somewhat in upper body strength, due (I hope) to Upper Plus. I ripped through Back and Biceps today, easily matching the numbers I last posted about 6 weeks ago. I wasn't feeling that great when I started the workout, and was actually considering decreasing the resistance band level on the exercises, but by the time the warmup was completed, my mind was in a good place, and out came the competitor in me. There's something about that page of numbers, especially seeing the numbers increasing, or the weight increasing, that gives you that extra push to be your best. I know, it's not all about the numbers, its about form...but really, now. It's about being your best. It's about finding out what's inside of you. It's about pushing yourself to your limit. It's about bringing the intensity on the last three reps. It's about X-ing it up. And besides, this isn't P90X. It's P90X Plus.

So, back to the workout. This isn't really one of my favourites, but I do get a fantastic bicep pump out of it. By the end of the workout, my arms are huge and tired. Did I mention sweaty? And sweaty. I must have had extra energy, because I found myself often fast-forwarding to the next exercise. I wasn't writing down my results; I used the Round 2 worksheet as a guide. The additional rest time, although it's really only a matter of seconds, made a difference. I was ready to jump from exercise to exercise, no stopping, no break. Look at me! I'm loose in the cage!

I ran out of time today before I ran out of energy, even on strip set curls. Terrific workout.

Ab Ripper X

I last did this workout this past Friday. I felt terrible for having missed my ab workout on Thursday of last week, due to a complete mental lapse, so I made up for it on Friday. I made it through all the moves, but it was more difficult than I recalled, again, creating a bit of angst that my prowess in the ab department was slipping a bit. Then, last Sunday, I was too bagged to do ARX. Not good. Today, no excuses.

ARX was somewhat easier today than last Friday. I wasn't as sweaty, nor as short of breath; however, I did have some difficulty on Mason Twists (it took me about 30 twists before I really caught my rhythm) and I lost form on the last 3 or 4 Crunchy Frogs. Obviously, there's a relationship between the two exercises: both require you to sit upright with legs and feet off the floor. They're both working the same portion of the abdomen, and I'm getting the feeling that I've lost a bit of toughness. At least I know now what I have to do to improve, and I'll take the necessary steps to do so.

No comments: