Tuesday, June 23, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 87: Kenpo X

I had a mishap while riding home from the office yesterday: I blew out my front tire while rounding a corner and took a spill, slightly injuring my left hip. I was a bit sore, but applied ice upon arriving at home and I'll be able to carry on with my workouts.

Which brings me to Kenpo, the last time this round. I wasn't sure how I'd be able to handle the kicks, so I paid extra attention to the Saunders Cycle stretches, to ensure that whatever attention my left hip and leg required, they would receive it. It was actually one of the better warmup sessions I've had with Kenpo. I learned that one should always maintain focus, even (especially) when warming up. The first series of rotations and punches (hook-uppercut) with the left leg forward were a bit painful, as they require rotation of the left hip; however, those exercises served to warm up my hip more, allowing more flexibility, and set me up for the kicks.

I moved somewhat gingerly through the kick sequence to start, but felt no pain, so I was really able to Bring It. The exercises moved quickly, and overall, it was a terrific workout. I even cycled into work, pain-free. I'll say that being in shape probably helped me get through this fall by making me less vulnerable and more durable. At least, that's the story I'll be sticking to.

Favourite move today: high sword, low hammer.

Toughest move today: side kicks, left leg.

Tony line of the day: "Knees up, c'mon...knees up, c'mon...knees up, c'mon..."

Looking forward to a good stretch tomorrow.

No comments: