Monday, June 15, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 78: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps / Ab Ripper

Chest, Shoulders & Triceps

Last day for CST, so I wanted to be Johnny Intense like nobody's business. I decided to use the bars for all applicable push-up exercises. From the start, I realized that I was in for trouble. Like last week during Chest and Back, the bars brought the difficulty up a few notches. As a result, most of my numbers were down from previous weeks when using the bars, but the same or higher for the bar-less exercises. I don't find that particularly disappointing or depressing; I know that the bars give me a much greater range of motion and, as a result, a better burn. That's what it's all about anyway, getting the burn on the last 3 reps.

Overall, I find this workout to be the toughest in P90X. Say what you will about Plyometrics; at least I can do Plyo without pausing the tape. There's no way (yet) I can do that with CST. This tape still takes about 1h20m for me to complete. There's a bit of pausing going on every few exercises. Still, with the pauses, my numbers don't crash through the ceiling, and I have a major burn at the end of the workout. I can barely lift my arms above my shoulders by the time I'm through.

Favourite move today: side-to-side push-ups.

Toughest move today: weighted circles. I could really use less weight here. If only I had 8lb weights.

Tony line of the day: "Arrrrrrrrr" (after airborne pushups)

Ab Ripper X

Again, I had a certain intensity for ARX. I had to be out of the house by a certain time, and barely had time to fit in the workout. As a result, I burned through the exercises with extra grit. I've done this workout so many times (64) that I've basically memorized every move, every line, every second. It still gives me a good workout; not the incredible burner it once was, but still a nice sweat. I'm still tired at the end, and really appreciate upward dog to stretch out my abs. I am looking forward to P90X+ for the ab routines there.

Favourite move today: mason twist.

Toughest move today: reverse bicycles.

Tony line of the day: "Adam's gotta be a hotshot, puttin' his hands in the air."

No comments: