Thursday, May 14, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 54: Core Synergistics

I brought a new and improved attitude to this workout today. I was determined to really focussing on engaging the core on every exercise. I've noticed that I haven't lost much weight during Round 2 (only 4 lbs to date, in almost 8 weeks) and I think that some of the weight that I still want to lose is hiding around my mid-section. So, focus on the core (and the nutrition plan) and hopefully, I can shed what remains of my little belly and expose my 6-pack to the world. Well, it's good to have dreams and to pursue them.

I tried to be really intense on each exercise and, for the most part, succeeded today. I did 40 stack leg/staggered hand pushups (could have done more, but the timer ran out) and on exercises which I found really exerting, I kept going at my own pace until the time ran out. Perhaps I didn't match the reps the kids did, but I didn't quit, either. There's a small victory in perseverance; it's part of the "do your best and forget the rest" philosophy, but in this case, doing your best means (for me): keep going, don't quit, don't give up, don't let your mind tell you that your body's had enough. It was a bit of "dig down and see what you're made of" time. To me, P90X isn't just about physical improvements; a significant part of the program is about developing mental toughness.

Having said that, I had to pause the tape a couple of times to catch my breath between exercises. So much for mental toughness. The order of the exercises, and the intensity of exercises makes for a taxing overall workout. The combination of plank to chatarunga run and walking pushups is particularly difficult. That really burns me to the core (pun intended).

Favourite move today: stack leg/staggered hand pushups. First move, lots of energy. All day long.

Toughest move today: plank to chatarunga run. Wow. (What's that upside down? Mom.) Sweat dripping off my face. Just like Pam the Blam.

Tony line of the day: "It'll make you more durable, and less vulnerable." That's how I'd like to be.

No comments: