Tuesday, May 12, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 52: Kenpo X

I woke up this morning, not feeling great. My wife has had the sniffles for a few days, and my son definitely has a cold. I'm somewhat concerned that this is working its way through the house. As a result, I'm going to bump up my consumption of vitamin C and I'll start taking some echinacea drops. I find that this approach has worked in the past, and has either staved off a cold completely, or at least diminished it. Whether this is a placebo or not, I believe it; at least it works for me.

I recalled reading somewhere on the internet that if you're feeling poorly, cutting out exercise may not do anything to prevent a cold from running through your body. So, I decided against rest, popped in the Kenpo disc, and went to work. As usual, I merely endured the Saunders cycle stretches. This is part of the Kenpo program I definitely do NOT enjoy; although, I will say that I like the leg stretches when lying on my back and the downward dog exercises to stretch out my calves. I noticed that my glutes and legs weren't sore; no doubt, due to the absence of Legs and Back yesterday. This made me more enthusiastic for today's workout, as I often feel a bit of joint and muscle tightness from Legs and Back, which inhibits my abilities during Kenpo.

Kenpo moves quickly, and I find that before I know it, I'm sweaty as hell and finished. Today was no exception. I generally like the pace of this workout and find that my heart rate is usually pretty high. By the end of the workout, beads of sweat are flinging off my elbows and fists, dotting the tv screen. Not the most pleasant image, perhaps, but definitely a sign of success.

Favourite move today: ball kicks. Good form, high leg, no hyperextension of the joint.

Toughest move today: side kicks. It's hard for an old guy like me to get the legs really high. My joints can only take so much.

Tony line of the day: "Ain't no tired...ain't no tired..." (break)

No comments: