Friday, March 20, 2009

The Mental Aspects of P90X

Each P90X DVD starts with an on-screen message: Bring It!

This has been, for me, the foundation of my mental approach to the program. I try, each time I put in a disc, to make that the best workout I've ever done. I am tremendously competitive with myself. I push, each workout, to improve on the previous, either by increasing repetitions, increasing weight, improving form, or some combination of the three. Factored into all of this is keeping to the diet, listening to my body and getting enough rest. Completing the daily workout sheets (when applicable) is a tremendous motivator for me. The sheets form a library of information about my progress and help inform me in deciding how to next perform an exercise. There are always ways of increasing the intensity level.

I've found that my mind quits before my body actually gives out. I've been working harder at pushing my mind to tell my body that I can do more. That will be one of my primary goals of Round 2.

Enough of these preliminary musings. Time to Bring It.

Sunday: P90X, Round 2, Day 1: Chest & Back


No comments: