Sunday, March 15, 2009

P90X: Round 1: the DVDs

The P90X DVDs arrived in mid-December, 2008. I viewed each one, running through them quickly on fast-forward, trying to gauge how intense the exercises would be. I recalled reading on the net that Plyometrics was a killer, so I spent some time following the exercises and visualizing doing them.

Some of the exercises do require some time for familiarization, particularly (for me, at least) Yoga X and Kenpo X. I had never taken any yoga or kickboxing before, so every move was foreign to me. Also, there are a couple of moves on the Core Synergistics disc that require a bit of repetition before habit kicks in; Tony Horton even mentions sometimes that it would be beneficial to watch, prior to engaging.

Just having the DVDs was exciting; I could hardly wait to start the program. The program runs 7 days a week, with day 7 designated for Rest or X Stretch. I chose Rest. I decided to make Sunday Day 1. This worked out well for my schedule.

My equipment was fairly minimal; I decided to use resistance bands for everything. Later, I added one set of 10 lb. hex dumbbells, but that was all. I purchased B-Line bands from Beachbody.com and one set of handles for each band. I have maroon, red, green, blue and black. I purchased (locally) a door attachment for the bands. My wife bought me a yoga mat for Yoga X and Ab Ripper X. I decided not to purchase a special mat for Plyometrics, as I could do those exercises in a carpeted space.

I had a few days left before Sunday, the dreaded and anticipated Day 1. I had trouble sleeping at night, wondering whether I would be physically able to endure the program. Although I had passed the Fit Test (available on-line), I was still concerned that my level of fitness did not truly meet the minimum requirements. I was about to find out.

Next: Bring It!


No comments: