Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Aches and Pains

The first week of P90X was tough to endure. My body wasn't used to the rigours of an intense daily workout and there was little time for it to recover. By the end of the first week, I was really wiped.

As the weeks went by, feelings of exhaustion were replaced by heightened alertness, improved energy, and enthusiasm. Occasionally, a workout would result in some minor soreness of a joint, but the design of the program would allow that soreness to dissipate prior to working the affected joint again.

An exception: Legs and Back, followed by Kenpo. I loved the legs and back DVD, but it always resulted in painful glutes afterwards. The next day, I always had trouble stretching out for Kenpo; however, after about 10 minutes into the Kenpo exercises, everything seemed to fall into place and I could kick to the best of my ability without being bothered by the constraints of sore glutes. The rest day following Kenpo, I always had trouble walking.

I noticed over the course of Round 1 that aches and pains I had experienced for years were minimized or disappeared completely. I had a stiffness in my left knee which prevented me from squatting fully. That is now gone, likely due to Plyometrics, Legs and Back and Kenpo. Picking something from the bottom drawer of the refrigerator now brings a sense of satisfaction. It's the little things in life that count.

Four days left until Round 2 commences.

Next: Yoga

No comments: