Thursday, March 19, 2009

Yoga

For me, the most foreign disc of the P90X series was Yoga. Never having taken any yoga before, I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect.

The disc is 1h 32m long, about 1/2 h longer than the other discs. The first half involves moving options; the second half consists of balancing, stretching and some abdominal exercises. The moving options really caused me to break a sweat; even though there's no cardio (other than focussed breathing), attaining a position and holding it can be really challenging. For the first few weeks, there were some positions (twisting half-moon) that I couldn't achieve. Eventually, with patience and practice, I was able to follow all moves during the program.

This program turned out to be one of my favourites, in spite of the additional 1/2h of time involved. It really helped to clear my mind and focus on my body. The timing of the program, falling on day 4, was ideal; it was a good time to allow other muscle groups to rest, to stretch out arms and legs and to change pace. It really is a great opportunity for calming the mind, listening to the body and to dissipate the stresses of daily life.

Yoga has enhanced all my other P90X workouts. I consider it indispensable.

Three days until Round 2 commences.

Next: the mental aspects of P90X

No comments: